Somerville College and the Department of Economics at the University of Oxford invite applications for a College Fellowship in Economics. This is a full-time post, tenable for a fixed-term of 5 years from 1 September 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The successful candidate must be willing and able to teach one, and preferably two, of: microeconomics, macroeconomics, quantitative economics, and/or development of the World economy since 1800. The postholder will be expected to share responsibility for teaching, pastoral care and administration for degrees that include Economics components. The ability to demonstrate a strong academic record and research expertise as is essential. The successful candidate will be expected to have a coherent plan of research for the duration of this Fellowship.
Salary: Total package of £39,096 (Salary: £30,046 p.a., £9,050 housing allowance – 2019-20 rates)
• Organising tutorials and small class teaching for undergraduates in the relevant subject areas.
• Sharing responsibility for the academic welfare of undergraduates in the subject.
• Teaching the full range of first year courses in Economics and at least one of the compulsory finals papers.
• Setting and marking Collections (internal termly examinations).
• Attending tutorial board meetings.
• Monitoring progress writing termly reports on students.
• Participating in admissions procedures for new undergraduates to read PPE and History and Economics.
• Engaging in advanced study and research in Economics.
• Acting as College Adviser to graduate students (in liaison with their academic supervisor).
• Taking part in the governance of the College through regular attendance at Governing Body meetings.
• Supporting the College’s access and schools’ liaison strategy, including participation in Open Days.
Skills and experience required
• Sound knowledge of Economics in the relevant subjects.
• Ability to provide excellent tutorial and small group teaching in the subjects listed above.
• Hold, or be close to completion of, a PhD/DPhil in Economics.
• Scholarship of the highest quality with evidence as appropriate to the stage of the candidate’s career.
• An ability to bring advanced research projects to fruition and to contribute to a research community.
• A research record of a standing appropriate to the stage of the candidate’s career, with evidence of potential for producing distinguished research within the broad field of Economics.
• Ability and willingness to undertake College administration and to co-operate in Sub-Faculty affairs.
• Ability and willingness to undertake pastoral responsibilities.
• An understanding of the learning needs of undergraduate students and how to address them.
• Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and organisational skills, including personal initiative.
• A willingness to work in close cooperation with the other PPE and History Fellows in running joint degrees.
• Willingness to participate and assist in collegiate life and governance.
The closing date for applications is 12.00 noon on Monday 23 March 2020. Interviews are expected to be held in Oxford on Monday 20 April 2020.
Full further particulars and application materials are available at: www.some.ox.ac.uk/jobs/Economics
VIEW ALL ACADEMIC VACANCIES
VIEW ALL OTHER COLLEGE VACANCIES