Exeter College and Merton College (‘the Colleges’) seek jointly to appoint a French Lecteur/Lectrice. This is a fixed-term appointment from 1 October 2021 to 30 June 2022.
The postholder must be able to undertake up to nine ‘contact’ hours of French language teaching per week during the three eight-week terms of the academic year (i.e. 216 ‘contact’ hours for the period of the appointment). This will include guiding students in the writing of essays in French on current affairs and broad cultural subjects, and leading French conversation classes.
The teaching will be directed by the French tutors at Exeter College and Merton College. Classes are normally made up of between four and eight students. More information about the courses is available at the Modern Languages Faculty website.
The main duties of the post are to:
- To provide a minimum of 216 ‘contact’ hours of teaching to undergraduates during the period of the appointment;
- To provide teaching covering written and oral French (all aspects of the language: translation into French, essays in French on current affairs or broad cultural subjects, summary exercises, grammar and French conversation);
- To prepare, set, and mark written work and provide feedback to students;
- To set and mark internal college practice exams (‘Collections’) that take place at the start of each term;
- To submit accurate and timely teaching records each term;
- To assist students with study skills and revision, as required;
- To support students with their planning and applications for their Year Abroad;
- To act as an assessor or second examiner in the Final Year oral exam;
- To provide pastoral support to students, liaising with other staff as required;
- To take on other reasonable duties as directed by the French tutors at the two colleges, appropriate to the role;
- To take an active part in the intellectual life of the two colleges’ academic communities; and
- Such other duties as may be required by the Organising Tutors, including (where necessary) duties which may fall outside the dates of the three academic terms (i.e. during the University’s vacation periods at Christmas and/or Easter).
The successful applicant will be fluent in French (equivalent to native-speaker level), and will have recently spent some time in a French-speaking country. They will also have successfully completed an undergraduate degree in English studies or Linguistics, or a related subject with either an English, Literature, Linguistics or Philosophy component. With a good command of written and spoken English, they will have excellent organisational ability, and they will be able to teach and assess the work of students across a range of media and deal effectively with any pastoral matters that may arise.
The Lecteur/Lectrice will be expected to work independently at times, but always ultimately in collaboration with the French fellows in the two colleges, and (where they exist) any other lecturers or Fellows who support the teaching of Modern Languages within the colleges.
The salary for the post will be the equivalent of £22,417 - £25,941 per annum, pro-rated to the time worked. In addition to salary, a range of other generous benefits are available, as set out in the Further Particulars.
How to Apply
The closing date for applications is 12pm noon (BST) on Thursday 8 April 2021. Candidates are encouraged to submit all application materials by email, to the HR Officer at email@example.com. If possible, applications should be submitted as a single PDF file. It is the responsibility of each applicant to ensure that their application and references arrive before the deadline.
Exeter College and Merton College are equal opportunities employers and value diversity.