Over the last week during our internal apprenticeship expo, the apprenticeships team (in central HR) hosted a series of virtual webinars with some of our training providers to share the training areas they offer apprenticeships in. All University employees were welcome to sign up to sessions, to further their own professional development or to consider the skills gaps in their team and how apprenticeships can support this
Investing in our people is one of the key elements of our people strategy in which we aim to 'attract, recruit and retain the highest calibre of staff' and 'support staff in personal and professional development'.
After positive feedback from 2021, the Expo was held online as this allowed for employees to attend many events by simply joining the calls. The Apprenticeships Team saw almost 250 employee sign ups from all divisions to their events which shows that there is interest across the University for this type of learning.
The event was a huge success and the apprenticeships team would like to thank all of our employees and apprentices who took part.
This event followed a fantastic National Apprenticeship Week, where the team launched news of their new initiatives including:
The University will move towards cohort-based apprenticeship recruitment and enrolment starting in 2022/2023. This will not only enable us to streamline our internal processes and improve efficiency, but we will also be able to better plan our apprenticeship strategy across the University, providing departments with more resources and support.
We will offer an enhanced experience for those looking to apply to our apprenticeship vacancies as they can plan their applications ahead of time, we will be developing more resources to help applicants, driving forward our diversity and social mobility initiatives and ensuring we are attracting a diverse pool of candidates.
With this in mind our recruitment falls into three cohorts:
- Applications will open in April for our September cohort
- Applications will open in September for our January cohort
- Applications will open in January for our April cohort
For more information about this and to see some of the courses we currently recruit employees into, please visit our 'Types of apprenticeship' webpage.
Apprenticeship routes – Higher and Degree level apprenticeship roles and trainee roles coming soon!
Another way we are developing our Work Learn Develop programme has been to expand on our apprenticeship routes into the University.
We now offer three apprentices routes:
- Entry-level – new entrant roles at the University from intermediate to higher-level apprenticeships through a wide range of roles (£20,047)
- Trainee – a new route offering the opportunity to undertake an apprenticeship in the area that you already have experience in gained through; already working in the sector or having completed an apprenticeship already in the discipline. You will be recruited as a trainee and complete an apprenticeship at the same time (all different salary grades depending on the roles, see our grading structure here)
- Existing staff – we continue to offer all apprenticeships from intermediate to degree to our existing members of staff and work closely with our People and Organisational Development Team to map our career pathways and career progression through apprenticeships.
We currently have c.180 apprentices on programme.
Want to find out more about apprenticeships? Contact the apprenticeship team on: firstname.lastname@example.org
We have a number of new entrant apprentice vacancies currently live:
APPLY TO APPRENTICESHIP VACANCIES